Employees, administrators and doctors at Health Sciences North were saddened to learn Friday of the death of Sarah Jane “Sally” Spence, who worked for a children’s clinic at the hospital for decades.


 


Spence, 68, died after a long battle with ovarian cancer.


 


She was the former clinical manager of the Children’s Treatment Centre at Health Sciences North and was honoured in January 2012 shortly after she retired from the position.


 


In a statement, the hospital said Spence was “a tireless advocate for children’s care and a driving force at our Children’s Treatment Centre.


 


“We want to offer our sincere condolences to Sally’s family. We remember her excellent work on behalf of children in our community.”


 


Teacher Kim Fahner was saddened to learn of Spence’s death. Fahner said Spence was her physiotherapist 32 years ago.


 


“I remember coming back from major hip surgery at Sick Kids in Toronto and meeting her as my physio,” said Fahner.


 


“When I was in pain during my rehab, she would always encourage me to push against it, telling me I would walk well again if I tried my hardest.”


 


Fahner moved into a new neighbourhood last summer and said she often met Spence when the two women were walking their dogs.


 


“I knew she was fighting cancer, but she was the same Sally — full of spunk, spirit, optimism, and always laughing.


 


“I cannot think of anyone else in Sudbury who has influenced the lives of so many children and (now) adults. I will be always grateful to her,” said Fahner.


 


A funeral service will be held for Spence on Wednesday at 11:30 a.m. in the R.J. Barnard Chapel at Jackson & Barnard Funeral Home on Larch Street.


 


Visitation will be held Tuesday from 2-5 p.m. and from 7-9 p.m.


 


In September 2010, a group of Sudburians held Northern Ontario’s first Ovarian Cancer Canada Winners Walk of Hope fundraiser, just five weeks after Spence was diagnosed.


 


More than 100 participants raised almost $7,300 for research, awareness and support for women affected by ovarian cancer and their families.